A curriculum doesn’t teach a child… a trained teacher does. This workshop provides foundational knowledge in structured literacy instruction.
In this engaging and interactive session, participants will:
- learn strategies to use with students who fear “looking different” because they learn differently
- learn strategies to teach in a structured, explicit, multisensory way
- discover valuable tools and resources to use with students
Saturday, April 8, 2017 at Multnomah ESD 11611 NE Ainsworth Circle • Portland
8:00 am – N00n Includes continental breakfast and all workshop materials
$35 Members: Portland Reading Council $50 Non-members
Prerequisite: Participants must have taken the Dyslexia 101 training from Barbara Steinberg
Questions? Contact email@example.com
Looking for ideas to bring Latino culture into your literacy block or library?
Join us for an after-school K-8 workshop featuring superstar Ruth Culham and her new book Dream Wakers: Mentor Texts That Celebrate Latino Culture.
- Ruth will share practical ideas for using these mentor texts during writing instruction.
Event Highlights: Purchase Ruth’s new book and mentor texts; book signing; and PDU certificate
3:30 – 4:00 Sign-in & refreshments; book purchasing and signing 4:00- 5:30 Literacy Workshop
Registration is closed. All seats are filled.
Thursday, March 2, 2017 @ St Anthony School in Tigard
Wednesday, April 19, 2017 @ HB Lee Middle Sch. in Portland (east side)
Questions? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are thrilled to announce the winner of our scholarship.
Krista Sutherland is a senior at Eastern Oregon University, Gresham campus.
A 4.0 student, Krista is working on her BA in Elementary education as well as Reading and ESOL endorsements.
Krista helped create the EOU Gresham Literacy Club which is dedicated to promoting literacy in early childhood and elementary aged children. The Literacy club is responsible for distributing over 1,000 free books to children enrolled in the Gresham area Head Start program.
The Portland Reading Council is led by two outstanding literacy educators: Julie Owens, Associate Professor at Concordia University (on left) and Amy Morinville, Reading Intervention Teacher at Ron Russell Middle School in the David Douglas School District.
Julie and Amy are skillfully leading our council board members to develop engaging projects and high quality professional learning opportunities to support your literacy work with students.
A big thank you to Julie and Amy!
Here is a peek into their classrooms.
Save $25! Receive membership in two professional literacy organizations!
Benefits of membership include:
- Dual Membership in the Oregon Reading Association
- Receive reduced registration fees at local workshops and ORA Institutes
- Check out a set of books nominated for the Patricia Gallagher Children’s Choice Book Award to share with your students
- Nominate a peer for a Literacy Shout Out or the Celebrate Literacy Award
- Join fellow educators at a local literacy event
- Lending library of professional books and DVDs
- Members-only listserv featuring teaching ideas, inspiration for your classroom, news of upcoming events
- and much more!
Stay tuned for more information about these opportunities or contact us at email@example.com