Engaging Diverse Student Writers: K-6 Learn Classroom-Ready Strategies from Author Ruth Culham
Wednesday, August 23, 2017 @ Monarch Hotel, Clackamas, OR
- Discover practical strategies to organize writing workshop, writing traits, writing modes and writing process
- Learn innovative lesson ideas from Ruth’s new book – Dream Wakers: Mentor Texts That Celebrate Latino Culture
$100 Portland Reading Council Member • $135 Non Member • $75 Pre-Service Teachers
Registration Deadline: JUNE 29
Benefits of attending this unique day of learning:
- Embedded planning time with same grade peers
- PDU certificate: 7 hours
- One PSU graduate credit available: +$60
* Download Flyer for Session Descriptions: Summer Institute with Ruth Culham.Final
Questions? Please contact Penny Plavala firstname.lastname@example.org
Congratulations to our Celebrate Literacy Award winners for 2017
• Lindy Sproul, Boeckman Creek Primary, West Linn-Wilsonville • Tina Roberts, Gresham HS, Gresham-Barlow • Jennifer Poore-Bentley, Russell Elementary, Parkrose • Patricia Hill Welch, Branch Manager (recently retired), North Portland Library
Join us for an awards celebration on May 18, 2017 at the Monarch Hotel in Clackamas, Oregon
6:30 pm Reception for Honorees 7:00 Awards Presentation
Final Invitation Celebrate Literacy 2017
For event details, please contact email@example.com
We are thrilled to announce the winner of our scholarship.
Krista Sutherland is a senior at Eastern Oregon University, Gresham campus.
A 4.0 student, Krista is working on her BA in Elementary education as well as Reading and ESOL endorsements.
Krista helped create the EOU Gresham Literacy Club which is dedicated to promoting literacy in early childhood and elementary aged children. The Literacy club is responsible for distributing over 1,000 free books to children enrolled in the Gresham area Head Start program.
The Portland Reading Council is led by two outstanding literacy educators: Julie Owens, Associate Professor at Concordia University (on left) and Amy Morinville, Reading Intervention Teacher at Ron Russell Middle School in the David Douglas School District.
Julie and Amy are skillfully leading our council board members to develop engaging projects and high quality professional learning opportunities to support your literacy work with students.
A big thank you to Julie and Amy!
Here is a peek into their classrooms.
Save $25! Receive membership in two professional literacy organizations!
Benefits of membership include:
- Dual Membership in the Oregon Reading Association
- Receive reduced registration fees at local workshops and ORA Institutes
- Check out a set of books nominated for the Patricia Gallagher Children’s Choice Book Award to share with your students
- Nominate a peer for a Literacy Shout Out or the Celebrate Literacy Award
- Join fellow educators at a local literacy event
- Lending library of professional books and DVDs
- Members-only listserv featuring teaching ideas, inspiration for your classroom, news of upcoming events
- and much more!
Stay tuned for more information about these opportunities or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org