Full-time students in an education program at a university in Multnomah or Clackamas County are invited to apply for a $100 grant to cover registration fees for the Oregon Reading Association State Literacy Conference February 2-3, 2018 in Portland.
Fill out the application online by December 5, 2017.
Welcome to the 2017-18 school year!
We are so excited to be Co-Presidents of such a valuable organization for literacy educators across the Portland region. We have six new and nine veteran board members here to help serve you and the greater community through literacy projects and events.
The Portland Reading Council is celebrating 60 years of service and 31 years as an exemplary Honor Council of the International Literacy Association.
Please Like our Facebook page to keep up to date on Council news: Portland Reading Council
We look forward to working with you this year.
Julie Owens-Birch, Associate Professor of Education, Concordia University
Elizabeth Martin, K-5 Literacy Specialist, Portland Public Schools
Benefits of membership include:
- Dual membership in the Portland Reading Council and the Oregon Reading Assoc.
- Reduced registration fees for the ORA Literacy Conference and local workshops
- Funding and PSU credit for Teachers As Readers Book Groups
- Funding for literacy-focused Community Service Projects
- Sets of books nominated for the Patricia Gallagher Children’s Choice Book Award to check-out and share with your students
- An invitation to nominate a peer for the Celebrate Literacy Award
- Networking opportunities at local literacy events
- A healthy ORA Lending Library of professional books and DVDs
- Members-only listserv featuring teaching ideas, inspiration for your classroom, news of upcoming events
- and much more!
Save $35 with this membership special. (Regular price: $70 for 2 years)
Download our List of Benefits: Membership Portland Reading Council
Stay tuned for more information about these opportunities or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Congratulations to our Celebrate Literacy Award winners for 2017
• Lindy Sproul, Boeckman Creek Primary, West Linn-Wilsonville • Tina Roberts, Gresham HS, Gresham-Barlow • Jennifer Poore-Bentley, Russell Elementary, Parkrose • Patricia Hill Welch, Branch Manager (recently retired), North Portland Library
We are thrilled to announce the winner of our scholarship.
Krista Sutherland is a senior at Eastern Oregon University, Gresham campus.
A 4.0 student, Krista is working on her BA in Elementary education as well as Reading and ESOL endorsements.
Krista helped create the EOU Gresham Literacy Club which is dedicated to promoting literacy in early childhood and elementary aged children. The Literacy club is responsible for distributing over 1,000 free books to children enrolled in the Gresham area Head Start program.